A study from Stanford University consisting of 16 million clinical documents and 2.9 million individuals was conducted. This study looked at those individuals who took PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitors) which are drugs that work to block against our stomach acids. Examples of PPI are Nexium and Prilosec. The study wanted to find out what their risk of having a heart attack was due to taking PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitors). The study showed that those individuals who were using a PPI regularly had a 16% increase in the risk of Myocardial Infarction (Heart Attack) and the risk of dying from a heart attack was doubled for those individuals who took a PPI.
Another study looked at the risk of forming dementia for individuals who use a PPI regularly. This study looked at 73,679 people aged 75 years or older who were not demented (cognitively intact) and followed them for five years. The risk of dementia for people who regularly used PPI increased by 44%.
Why does this happen? PPI lower the gut PH level and acidity on the gastrointestinal system and the effects that those changes has on the bacteria that live within us (probiotics). The bacteria controls things like immunity and inflammation. The report showed that by using a PPI regularly there was an increased in the hardening of the arteries in the heart and there was a dramatic increase in the risk of developing dementia.
· 70 million Americans suffer from digestive disease.
· 60-80% of the immune system is located in the gut.
· Our bodies have 10 times more microbes than human cells.
· Gut bacteria creates 95% of the body’s serotonin.
· Probiotics are bacteria that help maintain natural balance of organisms (microflora) in the intestines.
· More than 25 of different diseases and syndromes including Alzheimer’s, Arteriosclerosis, depression, and Rheumatism
have been linked to bacterial imbalance.
· Oral administration of probiotics has shown to reduce cholesterol levels by as much as 33% in animal and human studies
(World Health Org.)
· Aid in digestion
· Fight yeast and fungal infection
· Prevent constipation and diarrhea
· Alleviate bloating and fatigue
· Prevent skin problems
· Enhance mental clarity
· Stop sugar cravings – major cause of sugar addiction is bacterial overgrowth that feeds on sugar.
· Help IBS and colitis
· Prevent and treat urinary tract infections.